Pizza with tomato sauce? How about pizza with tomatillo sauce?
I’ve only ever used tomatillos to make salsa. That is, until I discovered that when you slice them and heat them in a pan, they reduce to a thick and sweet sauce that pairs perfectly with other veggies and – my favorite – goat cheese.
This sauce puts a fun spin on pizza. It makes it a little sweet but it’s definitely tasty and a really good summer pizza. I busted it out on a hot day for a pre-dinner appetizer and it was a hit!
Preheat Oven to 350F-375F
What You Need to Make the Pizza Dough:
(Adapted from this recipe from my cooking idol Smitten Kitchen)
- 1 1/2 cups flour (can replace up to half of this with whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (may need up to 1 or 2 tablespoons more)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- About 1-2 tablespoons whole flax seed. Gives the dough a little crunch and healthy boost!
What You Need to Make the Topping:
- Pre-made or homemade pizza crust. If you make your own, I highly suggest using this recipe from my cooking idol Smitten Kitchen.
- 6-8 medium tomatillos, shells peeled off and sliced into quarters
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 3-4 oz. of goat cheese
- 1/4-1/2 cup of corn meal (to sprinkle on baking pan to bake the pizza on)
Stir dry ingredients, including yeast, in a large bowl. Add the water and olive oil and stir until formed into a ball. Knead well and place in a well-greased bowl with a damp towel covering it for 1-2 hours until it has doubled in size.
Knead dough again to eliminate air pockets and place back in the bowl for 20-30 minutes. Roll out the dough and lift onto a pizza stone or pizza pan pre-sprinkled with cornmeal.
To Make the Topping:
Place the tomatillos into an oiled pan heated on medium. Cover and simmer until they reduce and thicken, stirring frequently.
While tomatillos are cooking, place sliced onions in an oiled pan on medium heat, cover and cook until caramelized.
Spread the tomatillo mixture across pizza like a sauce. Top with caramelized onions and goat cheese and bake for 10-12 minutes depending on the thickness of your dough.
Pro Tip: Along with the flax seed, add fresh basil or dill to the pizza dough to give it a little kick and a little more of that summer flavor!