It’s officially that time of year again when summer is no longer a pipe dream. It feels just around the corner, and I’m already remembering little gems from last year, like these juicy tomatoes. Come onnnn.
We’ve already got the wood planks set aside for a third raised bed, and I’m itching to get out and make it happen. Time to break out the summery recipes, sweep off the back porch, fill up that wine glass and enjoy.
Tacos are good whatever the season, and despite the popularity of Taco Tuesday, I’ll eat them any day of the week. Especially with chorizo because, chorizo.
What You Need:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 pound of chorizo
- 1 tbsp chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, diced into tiny bits
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground paprika
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup shredded havarti cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 8-10 taco shells
What You Do:
Get two separate skillets and heat each over low-medium with a 1/2 tbsp of oil.
In one, cook the chorizo until browned and fully cooked.
In the other, cook the chili pepper, onion and garlic, covered, until the onion is soft and translucent.
Combine the chorizo and onion mixture, and combine well. Add the spices and stir to combine.
Heat your taco shells in the oven according to package directions.
Stuff tacos with chorizo filling and top with freshly chopped tomatoes, cheese and salsa.
Pro Tip: Put the cheese into the warm taco shell first so it melts underneath the other toppings. YUM.
Absolutely had to share this amazing and insightful post by Sophieologie. It seems bonkers that messages like “toned means muscle”, “don’t skip meals”, and “eating well and being healthy is about more than calorie intake” aren’t the messages women get from the media, etc. but I agree, the misinformation has to stop! Love this whole post. Pass it along!
Something very cool has interrupted my mundane afternoon of work and contemplation of whether to eat the second half of a large cookie I bought earlier.
Joanna at FoodGurly.com has nominated my tiny start-up blog for the Liebster Award!
This award is designed to be passed around to spread blog love and draw attention to blogs that don’t have a lot of followers. Needless to say I am just touched AND super excited for the nomination! Joanna’s blog is awesome and a really perfect go-to place for gluten-free recipes that I have already used on more than one occasion, most recently to make these GF chocolate chip cookies. (They were amazing).
So this award means I get to answer some fun questions AND give some random facts about myself AND pass on the love to other awesome and deserving blogs/bloggers!
Here they are – I hope you enjoy learning a little bit more about me!
- If you could be a fruit, what would you be? Why? A peach. They’re the tastiest fruit, they just scream “summertime” and I love saying, “You’re a peach!” to people.
- Sweet or Savory? Definitely sweet. I always joke that instead of having a sweet tooth I have sweet teeth.
- When you go to a new restaurant, do you order ‘the same old thing’ off the menu or do you try something new? It’s hard for me to try new foods out! I like to stick to what I know is good and save the experimenting for my kitchen.
- Beef of Chicken? Neither – if I have to eat meat, I choose turkey. But only rarely.
- Would you rather have a night on the town or a romantic evening in? A night out on the town! Especially if it includes dancing.
- Ice Cream or Sherbet? Ice Cream. I love all of the flavors (even though I can never choose just one) and it’s a good excuse to eat candy, sprinkles and chocolate sauce all at the same time.
- What is your least favorite household chore? Cleaning the bathroom for sure. Thank goodness for the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.
- Cake or Pie? PIE!! Especially strawberry rhubarb!
- Do you think a person can change (i.e. Do you believe the old saying: Once a cheater always a cheater?) I have to say yes because I know people who have.
- Butter or Margarine? Butter all the way. Can’t beat it. (Well, you can…har har)
Some facts about me in no particular order:
- I ran my first marathon in 2013 (Vermont City in Burlington) and have been hooked on distance running ever since.
- I have a younger brother who in 2011 rode his bicycle across the country from Boston to Oregon by himself. I admire him so much.
- I haven’t owned a microwave in 6 years and have no plans to buy one.
- I was the mascot (Wild E Cat) for my college, the University of New Hampshire, for a few games each year.
- I am ADDICTED to Tic Tacs and eat them by the pack in a matter of minutes. When I was little I stole a pack of the orange ones from our local Stop and Shop. My mom found them and made me bring them back and apologize.
- I got married in September 2012. Mike inspires me every day to try new things.
- I love owls and will buy just about anything if it has an owl on it.
- I wanted to be a famous actress when I was younger and went to college for theatre performance until I realized I liked writing better – then I became a journalist.
- I am a Run Commuter – I run to and from work!
- I love the blogging community and all of the people I am meeting by having started a blog! I couldn’t be more excited!
Now I get to pass on the love and nominate some other awesome blogs, which have to answer the questions below and provide some fun facts about themselves – and then nominate other blogs to do this, and so on and so forth 😀
Officially Gluten Free | Simply Made Kitchen and Crafts | Skinny Muffin | Tips, Tricks and Tidbits to a Healthier Lifestyle
- Dark Chocolate or White Chocolate?
- Who inspires you in your life?
- If you could have one super power, what would it be?
- What is your favorite thing to eat for breakfast?
- Do you like going to the movies, or waiting for movies to come out on DVD?
- What is one place you have never been but really want to go?
- Eggs with ketchup or without?
- Do you have a “guilty pleasure” tv show?
- What is your favorite vacation spot?
- Would you prefer to live near the ocean, or the mountains?